Recently, Southwestern College joined the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. AASHE is an organization of colleges and universities working to advance sustainability in higher education. You can see our school’s name on AASHE’s list of campus members and on its home page welcome to members that joined the previous month.
I’m writing to let you know about some of the benefits of AASHE membership. As members, we have access to all of AASHE’s online resources and to opportunities for networking, information sharing, collaboration, and professional development to help advance sustainability at our campus. We can take advantage of all of the following:
- Discounts – reduced registration fees for conferences, workshops, and other AASHE-sponsored events, and discounts on products and services offered through AASHE.
- Professional Awards - including Campus Sustainability Leadership Awards, Student Sustainability Leadership Awards, and Student Sustainability Research Awards, given only to member institutions.
- Directories - AASHE maintains online directories of Campus Sustainability Staff so that we can find and reach out to our colleagues doing similar work at other institutions.
- Online Resources – AASHE’s extensive online Resource Center includes assessment tools, policy and program databases, best practices, campus profiles, how-to guides, reports, and other resources. To create your personal account, follow this link: www.aashe.org/user/register and complete the user profile. Use your campus-based email address as your “username,” and the system will send a password to that address. When you receive it, go to the login page at www.aashe.org/user/login, enter your username, and type or paste the password into the password box. Click the “log in” button and you should be logged in with access to all locked resources. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have difficulty with this process.
- Networking and Professional Development - AASHE offers excellent opportunities to connect with colleagues at regional, national, and international events, build collaborations, and share resources. Interest Groups allow members to connect with others on specific topics and gain knowledge that will help support your sustainability work. AASHE workshops are held at member campuses and at conferences.
- Conferences – AASHE’s international conferences bring together every sector of higher education as well as business, government, and non-profits. The next conference, “Greening of the Campus: Embracing Change,” is in Indianapolis, IN, Sept 20-23 (in partnership with Ball State University). See the conference website for more info: http://goc.iweb.bsu.edu/.
- Publicity and Recognition - AASHE publicizes and celebrates member achievements through its newsletters, website, and other communications. The Member Spotlight feature that appears in the right column of AASHE’s website highlights sustainability efforts at individual campuses.
- Use of Member Logo – We can post the AASHE Member Logo on our website to emphasize our commitment to sustainability. The logo may also be used on any signage, reports, brochures, and publicity or display materials where it would benefit us.
- Individual Consulting - AASHE offers phone and email consultation to members.
- Governance – Anyone from a member institution may participate in AASHE governance, committees, and working groups.
In addition to the member benefits listed above, you may wish to subscribe to these publications:
- AASHE Bulletin - A free weekly e-newsletter that keeps readers up-to-date on the latest news, resources, opportunities, and events related to campus sustainability. Sign up here: http://www.aashe.org/publications/bulletin.php.
- AASHE Blog - “Campus Sustainability Perspectives” features conversations on news and opinions about campus sustainability. You can subscribe to the blog, comment on postings by others, and submit your own items as a guest blogger.
If you have any questions, you can email AASHE at email@example.com. Again, anyone on our campus can take advantage of these membership benefits from AASHE.