Halls of Fame
Five Southwestern College halls of fame will open their doors to new inductees during the Founders Day weekend Friday, April 16, and Saturday, April 17. The celebration will include recognition of inductees entering the Leaders in Service, Fine Arts, Business, Educators, and Scholars Halls of Fame.
The festivities will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, April 16, with the unveiling of plaques of those entering the Leaders in Service Hall of Fame. At 6 p.m. there will be a dinner in Deets Library followed by the induction ceremony at 6:45. There is limited seating available and RSVP is necessary.
Saturday’s schedule begins with the unveiling of plaques honoring the inductees into the Fine Arts Hall of Fame at 10:30 a.m. in the Darbeth Fine Arts Center lobby. The inauguration ceremony will be at 11 a.m. in Messenger Auditorium.
At 1:30 p.m., a reception for the Business Hall of Fame inductees will be held in the Deets Library lobby followed by the induction ceremony at 2 p.m.
At 3:30 p.m. in Deets Library, there will be a reception for the Educators Hall of Fame and Scholars Hall of Fame inductees followed by the induction of both groups beginning at 4 p.m.
Founders Day will conclude at 8 p.m. with the spring concert by the A Cappella Choir and the SC Jazz Band in Richardson Auditorium in the Christy Administration building.
“Founders Day weekend is always an exciting time at Southwestern and this year’s celebration certainly promises to fulfill that tradition,” says Susan Lowe, director of alumni programs at SC. “The college is honored to recognize several outstanding Moundbuilders at the five halls of fame that will take place, and we hope alumni, friends, and members of the community will join us.”
Individuals entering the various halls of fame include:
- Leaders in Service: Billie Ann Day, ’60; C. Darnell Jones II, ’72; Lyman Schiller Johnson, ’28 (deceased).
- Fine Arts: Norman Callison,’63 (deceased); Dennis Akin; Gayle McMillen, ’71.
- Business: Roger Crossman, ’92; Bill Seyb, ’65; Brad Bennett, ’73.
- Business Builder Award: Bruce Schwyhart.
- Educators: Tom Mundinger, ’72; Clinton Trillingham,’21 (deceased); Lois (Dryden) Vasey, ’49.
- Marilyn McNeish Special Education Award: Kim Mercer ’86.
- Scholars: Randy Duncan, ’77; John “Jim” Ward, ’50 (deceased).
For more information about any of the events for Founders Day, contact Lowe at (620) 229-6334