Halls of Fame
The Southwestern College Fine Arts Hall of Fame will induct three new members on Saturday, April 16. The ceremony will begin in the Darbeth Fine Arts Center lobby, with induction to be held in Messenger Auditorium.
The celebration will begin with a reception and the unveiling of plaques at 10 a.m., followed by the induction ceremony at 10:30 a.m.
• L. Dean Angeles ’67, Arden, N.C., conducted the Loyola University Chamber and Symphony Orchestras and coordinated a comprehensive string education program for the Loyola College of Music in New Orleans from 1980 until 2006. His highly acclaimed public school and university orchestras appeared at national music conferences and completed several successful concert tours in Europe as well as in the United States and Costa Rica. Angeles has served as conductor or clinician in 33 states, including 24 all-state orchestra festivals. He is the recipient of the 2003 Lifetime Achievement Award in Classical Arts, sponsored by Big Easy Entertainment and Gambit weekly, and was awarded the 2010 Midwest Clinic Medal of Honor. He continues to work as a clinician and guest conductor in semi-retirement.
• F. Joe Sims ’51, Wichita, joined the music faculty at Southwestern College in 1954 and taught voice and music education courses. As faculty co-adviser for the Campus-Y organization, Sims received a leadership award from the West Central Area Council. He received SC’s Student Council Faculty Citation in 1962, and the 1964 Moundbuilder yearbook was dedicated to him. That same year Sims was awarded a Fulbright lectureship to promote music education in Colombia, South America. During that sabbatical he provided leadership for the 21 men’s glee clubs in Colombia’s universities. In 1971 Sims became director of choral and voice activities at Missouri Southern State University in Joplin, Mo, later becoming head of the Division of Fine Arts. He retired from teaching in 1987.
• Gordon E. Young ’49 (1919-1998) is generally recognized as one of the most brilliant organist-choirmasters of our time. Born in McPherson, he was an eager music student as a boy and spent hours at the piano and pipe organ at the churches where his father was pastor. Educated at Southwestern College and at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, Young served as choirmaster in churches in Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Detroit. He left his post at First Presbyterian Church in Detroit in 1967 to concentrate on composing. He left a legacy of nearly 1,000 published musical works, including organ, choral, solo, ensemble, and instrumental pieces, and a number of his church anthems have become standard repertoire fare.