SC Library Southwestern College Homepage
Self Service
SC Email
Interlibrary Loan

ILL Request Form - Book, DVD, CD
ILL Request Form - Article

What is Interlibrary Loan?

Interlibrary Loan is a service offered to SC students and learners, faculty, employees, and anyone with a library card for the Deets Library. It involves the borrowing of items from another library.

What can be borrowed?

Anything except for textbooks and course required materials can be requested for interlibrary. However, some items may be difficult to borrow because libraries do not lend them or lend them only in limited quantities. Such items are:

  • Dissertations and Master's Theses
  • Media (films, CDs, DVDs, etc)
  • Archival and Special collection items
  • Microfilm (Particularly Educational Documents found in ERIC)

According to Copyright Law, the following restrictions also apply:

  • the library can only request the same work five times in a year,
  • the library can only receive five articles published in any periodical title going back five years in a year, and
  • the library can only request one article per periodical issue or one chapter per book for a patron.

How long does it take?

This service usually takes between 4-14 days because it relies on shipping and receiving books through the US Postal Service.

Can PS learners use Interlibrary Loan?

Yes, interlibrary loan is available to PS learners. However depending on your location to Winfield and on the time you need the material, you may want to use your local library to request your interlibrary loan. Materials requested for PS learners must be shipped to the library and then shipped to you. You are also responsible for shipping it back to the library if it is a book, DVD, or CD . If you are in the Wichita, KS, area, you can return library items to the PS campus. Contact the library if you have questions.

Do I need to return a photocopy?

No, photocopies are yours to keep. You need to return any physical library items such as books, DVDs, and CDs.

Where do I pick up and return items?

Items can be picked up at the circulation desk unless you are a distance/online student and wish it mailed to you.
Photocopies of articles are yours to keep.  Books or other physical items must be returned to the Southwestern College Library (not the library from which it originated) so that we can send it back to the lending library.

You may return it by mailing it back to the Southwestern Library, by dropping it off at the Professional Studies Center, or by bringing it by the Main Campus library.  If you choose to mail the book, you are responsible for paying the postage costs for returning the item to us. Our address is:  Southwestern College Library; 100 College Street; Winfield, KS 67156 USA.

How long are materials checked out?

This depends on the lending library's policy. Normally the checkout will be from 2-4 weeks.

Can I renew an item?

Renews depend on the lending library. Some will not allow ILL items to be renewed while others will.

If you need a renewal, e-mail or call(620.229.6312) at least 4 days before the due date and we will notify you if it has been approved.

What does it cost?

The library tries to borrow items for free. However, some items may be only found in libraries that charge $10-$25. If a library tells us that there will be a charge, we will contact you to determine if you are willing to pay the fee before we finalize the order for the item. 

If a book or non photocopy item is borrowed through Interlibrary Loan but not returned, you will be billed by the lending library for the replacement cost of the book/item.

How do I submit an Interlibrary Loan request?

  1. Confirm that Southwestern library does not own the item.
    • If it is a book, media, or other physical item, search the SC catalog.
    • If it is an article, search Find Full Text Periodicals to confirm that the library does not have a copy of the periodical and, subsequent, article.

  2. After you confirm that the library does not own it, complete the appropriate online form found at the top of this page. You may also use the interlibrary loan features found in some of the databases.

What physical items are owned in Kansas?

The Kansas Library Catalog contains all of the books owned by every college, public, hospital and high school library in Kansas. Once in the catalog, choose the "Request This Item" button within an item's description to bring up the automated borrowing form.  The lending library will ship the book to the SC Library and we will ship it on to you. You will need to return the book to the Southwestern College Library at the end of the borrowing period.

What physical items are owned nationally and/or globally?

The database WorldCat contains all of the items owned by most libraries in the United States as well as many abroad.

You may submit requests for items in WorldCat but keep in mind the following:

  • Borrowing something from WorldCat will take longer than borrowing from a library within Kansas.

  • WorldCat, while containing books, may contain items that are very difficult to borrow including theses, dissertations, and archival and media items.

  • Items not owned by many libraries may be difficult to borrow since they could be rare.

Return to top

Follow the Library on Facebook Follow the Library on Twitter Follow the Library on Pinterest
Mobile Version
Copyright © 2009-2012 Southwestern College - Harold and Mary Ellen Deets Library
620.229.6225 | 1.866.734.1275
100 College Street, Winfield, KS 67156 | All rights reserved.
SC HomeSelf Service | Blackboard | SC Email