The Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA), includes many disclosure and reporting requirements. A disclosure requirement is information that a postsecondary education institution is required to distribute or make available to another party, such as students or employees. A reporting requirement is information submitted to the U.S. Department of Education or other agencies. Disclosure and reporting requirements sometimes overlap. For certain topics, institutions are required to make information available to students or others and to submit information to the Department of Education.
General Institutional Information
- Student Rights to Privacy/FERPA. Most information from academic record is private. Here is what Southwestern will release, and what we won't unless you ask us to.
- Facilities and Services for Students with Disabilities
- Student Diversity
- Price of Attendance and Refund Policy and Requirements for Withdrawal and Return of Federal Financial Aid
- Educational Programs
- Instructional Facilities
- Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreements
- Accreditation, Approval, and Licensure of Institution and Programs
- Copyright Infringement-Policies and Sanctions
- Computer Use and File Sharing
- Student Activities
- Career and Job Placement Services
- Registrar’s website: Course Schedules and ISBN information and Catalog
- The Institutional Research page for strategic plan and educational goals
Teacher Preparation Program Report
Southwestern provides a report to the State of Kansas annually which is then reported to the Department of Education in the state reports. The to the individual college and universities reports on the Kansas Department of Education web site: KSDE Kansas Colleges and Universities. The link to Southwestern's most recent annual report: Southwestern College 2012 Report.
Health and Safety
- Drug Conviction Notification
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program
- Vaccination Policies
- Campus Safety and Security. Incidents of crime relating to the Southwestern campus and teaching locations, as submitted annually to the U.S. Department of Education.
- Fire Safety Policies, Fire Statistics and Fire Log (On-Campus Housing Facilities)
- Retention Rate Students entering as first-time full-time freshmen in the fall term comprise the freshman cohort of that year. The retention and graduation rates are tracked by the freshman cohorts and reported through the IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System).
- Graduation Rates Students who enter as first-time full-time freshmen are tracked for six years. New in 2009, an eight year graduation rate is calculated.
- Graduation Rates for Students Receiving Athletically Related Student Aid Students who enter as first-time full-time freshmen and receive athletically-related aid are tracked for six years. Click the link to see full breakdowns by gender, by ethnic origin, and by athletic teams.
- Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support Data - Equity in Athletics. Information about men's and women's athletic teams at Southwestern, including number of participants and coaches, expenses, and income. We submit this report annually to the U.S. Department of Education.
Persons who have complaints against the school should first contact the appropriate department head, i.e., for academic related concerns, the Vice President for Academic Affairs; for financial related concerns, the Associate Vice President of Business Affairs; for student life issues, the Dean of Students.
Persons who have complaints that are broader in scope and relate to possible accreditation issues should contact The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The instructions for filing a complaint are in the attached Adobe Acrobat document: Higher Learning Complaint Process.
Learners taking online courses through the Professional Studies' programs who have concerns may contact the state office in which the learner resides. The following document contains links to each state's complaint process and contacts: Links to Complaint Process.
Most external complaint processes require that all avenues of complaint are exhausted internally to the institution before a grievance will be considered.
Voter Registration for the State of Kansas