A counselor is an individual who is well organized, a strong leader, an enthusiastic musician, and a hard worker. The festival counselors are in charge of managing the festival participants and work alongside the SC Ambassadors. Counselors ensure the safety of the participants.
- Move-in for festival a day early (June 8) for training
- Stay an extra day (June 15) to assist with festival wrap-up
- Manage festival participants
- Manage communiting students
- Decorate resident halls with SC Ambassadors
- Work with students having trouble adjusting to the festival
- Coordinate festival awards
- Take attendance throughout the festival
- Attend all-festival performances
- Opportunity to participate in a recital and provide private lessons
- Direct students and families during move-in and move-out
- Help administrators/directors with miscellaneous duties
- Assist with daily break time
- Take action photos for end-of-camp video
- Assit with electives and chamber coaching
- Assist with any other tasks given by the festival administrators
A counselor must:
- Be a college rising junior or older
- Submit the Counselor Application
- Email a one page resume to Dr. Timothy Shook
- A note about references: Please provide contact information for your band/choir/orchestra director or private music instructor, your religious mentor or a teacher/faculty member with whom you have studied, and a personal reference.
- Possess knowledge of current computer technology (recording equipment, projector, etc.)
Counselors will have the opportunity to:
- Receive a $500 stipend
- Receive full tuition scholarship for the festival
- Develop leadership skills through games and activities with counselors and staff
- Gain first-hand knowledge assisting directors during rehearsals
Timeline for Counselor Applicants
- Submit the Counselor Application and email resume by December 6, 2013.
- After the application materials have been received by the Dean of the Summer Music Festival, the materials will be reviewed and applicants will be notified.
- Counselors will be announced on March 1, 2014.