A counselor is an individual who is well organized, a strong leader, an enthusiastic musician, and a hard worker. The festival counselors are in charge of managing the festival participants and the Counselors-in-Training (CITs).
- Manage festival participants and the counselors-in-training (CIT)
- Assist in the planning and supervising of all festival events
- Coordinate festival awards
- Help directors during rehearsals
- Communicate with festival director and administrators
- Decorate resident halls with CITs
- Mentor CITs
- Lead ensemble sectionals, if asked by director
- Assist directors in preparation of rehearsal materials and equipment needs
- Make sure rehearsal spaces are ready to go before rehearsals begin
- Assist directors during Family Day to prepare stages and equipment for concerts
- Take attendance throughout the festival
- Manage commuting students
- Direct students and families during move-in and move-out
- Help administrators/directors with miscellaneous duties
- Stay an extra day for festival wrap-up
- Assist with any other tasks given by the festival administrators
A counselor must:
- Be a college rising junior or older
- Submit the Counselor Application
- Email a one page resume to Dr. Timohty Shook
- A note about references: Please provide contact information for your band/choir/orchestra director or private music instructor, your religious mentor or a teacher/faculty member with whom you have studied, and a personal reference.
- Possess knowledge of current computer technology (recording equipment, projector, etc.)
Counselors will have the opportunity to:
- Receive a $500 stipend
- Receive full tuition scholarship for the festival
- Develop leadership skills through games and activities with counselors and staff
- Gain first-hand knowledge assisting directors during rehearsals
Timeline for Counselor Applicants
- Submit the Counselor Application and email resume by December 9, 2012.
- After the application materials have been received by the Dean of the Summer Music Festival, the materials will be reviewed and applicants will be notified.
- Counselors-in-Training will be announced on March 1, 2013.