Social Security Numbers

In the United States it is a requirement to have a social security number in order to work.  The number is 9 digits long and is issued on a card by the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security Office is located in Wichita at 8533 East 32nd St, N. Wichita.  Transportation to the Social Security Office is offered twice a semester and students will be notified in advance via e-mail of dates. 

The Social Security Administration recently issued a regulation that requires international students to have secured employment BEFORE they can obtain a social security card. 

Students need to have the following documents in hand when they apply for the Social Security number: 

  • Current passport and visa
  • Current I-20
  • Current I-94 (You can find and print off your I-94 number at the followling link:
  • Letter from Director of International Student Services, Rena Rodriguez
  • Social Security Application (can be picked in the Student Life Office)
Build a life

Build a life

Students are what make Student Life happen!

From carnivals to concerts, from Sutton Center to Campus Life, the Office of Student Life is available for you, the student.

learn more about student life