- Professor of Communication; Program Coordinator for Communication Studies, Professional Communication, Communication Research Advisor
- Email Address
- (620) 229-6329
Ph.D. Regent University- Communication Theory with an emphasis in Rhetoric
Dissertation: Feminizing the Pulpit: The Religious Rhetoric of Joyce Meyer and Feminine Style
M.A. Wichita State University-Communication Theory
Thesis: Apologia: A Rhetorical Analysis of Janet Reno's Press Conference Speech following the 1993 Waco Disaster
B.A. East Central University-Speech Education
Honors and Publications
- "Feminizing the Pulpit: The Religious Rhetoric of Joyce Meyer and her Feminine Style" 2010 Oklahoma Speech Theatre Communication Association Convention, Rogers State College, Claremore Oklahoma.
- "Giving Voice to Muted Groups in the Classroom" 2009 Oklahoma speech Theatre Communication Association Convention
- "The Mosaics of Motherhood: The Discursive Performances of 'Mother" in a Feminist World" 2009 National Communication Association Convention, Chicago, Illinios
- "Riding the Wave: Female Pop Music Heroes for a New Generation" Oklahoma Speech Theatre Communication Association Convention, Talequah, OK, Top Panel 2008, Central States Communication Association Convention, St. Louis 2009
- "Parenting Your Parent: No Matter What I say It is Wrong" 2008 Central States Communication Association Convention, Madison, Wisconsin
- "Fourth Wave Feminism: Empowering the World" 2007Women's History Month Keynote Speaker, Emporia State University
- "What a Difference a Town Hall Makes: Audience Response to the October 7, 2004 Presidential Debate” Oklahoma Speech Theatre Communication Association Convention 2006 Bethany, Oklahoma.
- "Communicating Identity: Parenting Your Parent" 2006 Central States Communication Association Convention, Indianapolis, Indiana
- "Feminine Theology: A Rhetorical Analysis of Joyce Meyer" 2006 Central States Communication Association, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- "Communicating Identity: Parenting the Parent" 2006 Central States Communication Association Convention, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- “Only Female” Blazing New Trails For Women in the Academy. Panel Participant 2006 Central States Communication Association Convention, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- "A Reality Check: Third Wave Feminist Agenda and Social Influence by Women in Music Video" 2005 Central States Communication Association, Kansas City, Missouri.
- "A Reluctant Voice: Zu Adams Speaks to The Kansas Women’s Press Club April 10, 1902" 2005 Central States Communication Association, Kansas City, Missouri.
- “Elizabeth Cady Stanton: Fighting for the Soul’s of Women” 2004 Central States Communication Association, Cleveland, Ohio.
- “The Sounds of Silence: The Gender Based Experiences of Women in Intercollegiate Forensics” 1999-22nd Annual Conference on the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language and Gender, Wichita, Kansas.
- “You’ve Come a Long Way Baby? Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Hillary Rodham Clinton Address the World” 1999-22nd Annual Conference on the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language and Gender, Wichita, Kansas.
Philosophy of Teaching
Thomas J. Curruthers said, “A good teacher is one who makes himself [HERSELF] progressively unnecessary.” The purpose of education is to help students see their potential as scholars and human beings by helping them become intellectually empowered. That journey begins with an environment that invites and encourages challenges along with the skills, motivation, and encouragement to meet and overcome them while serving as the place for both the teacher and student to become better than they were.
Duties at Southwestern
Communication Studies program coordinator, Communication Research program coordinator, Professional Communication program coordinator
- Elements of Oral Communication, Critical Thinking and Argumentation, Advanced Presentational Speaking, The Rhetoric of the Holocaust, College Writing 1&2, Interpersonal Communication, Intercultural Communication, Organizational Communication, Persuasion, Theories of Human Communication, Group Communication
Please check on my door. They vary from semester to semester. I am always available by appointment.
View Tracy Frederick's Vita (PDF)