- Education Division Chairperson; Director of Teacher Education
- Email Address
- (620) 229-6115
- Cell Phone
- (620) 262-1356 (c)
- (620) 229-6341
David R. Hofmeister
509 E. 35th Ave.
Winfield, KS 67156
Cell: (620) 262-1356
Office: (620) 229-6115
Ed.D., Curriculum and Instruction, 1990, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045
M.A., Political Science, 1985, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045
Post-Baccalaureate Certification: 7 -12 American history, government; 7-9 Language Arts. Emporia State University, Emporia, KS 66801
B.S., Political Science, 1979, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506
Director of Teacher Education and Professor (tenured). Southwestern College, Dole Center for Teacher Education. Winfield, KS July 2006 until present.
The division chair for Teacher Education is responsible for leading the division, which includes: teacher education (early childhood, elementary, and secondary education, as well as graduate programs in curriculum and instruction and special education), physical education, athletic training, a preschool ages 2 ½ to 5, and an afterschool program. Programs are made available to students on multiple campuses and through distance learning. Responsibilities include full oversight of the division. Coordinate scheduling, programs, faculty selection, and faculty evaluation on multiple sites where teacher education services are provided. Reports to the Dean of Faculty and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Selected outcomes include:
• Chairs the strategic planning process for the division.
• Developing and growing partnerships with area community colleges and educational agencies.
• Hiring affiliated faculty and training said faculty for cohesive program delivery.
• Responsible for four fully on-line licensure programs.
• Initiating program developments and curricular enhancements in existing programs.
• Continued accreditation of teacher education programs with Kansas State Department of Education and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
• Hired and supported a Preschool Director to bring the preschool into compliance with Kansas rules and regulations. Enhancements include:
o Program improvements
o Parent conferences
o Weekly newsletters
o Playground and facility improvements
o Increased enrollments
o Improved food services
o On-target with budget expectations
• Developed an afterschool program in partnership with the preschool director and Grace Methodist Church. Program is licensed by Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment.
• Successfully led the unit to re-accredit the teacher education program through Kansas Department of Education.
• Coordinated the growth of adult learning programs on a satellite campus and on-line by more than 300% from 2006-2011.
• Successfully led the unit through an NCATE self-study with all standards met and AFIs removed from the 2002 initial accreditation.
• Chair of the KSDE Professional Standards Board’s subcommittee, Evaluation Review Committee
• Member of NCATE’s Board of Examiners
• Developed an on-line Master of Arts in Teaching program
• Established an International Relationship between Huangshan University, Anhui Province, China and Southwestern College, Winfield, KS.
• Collaborative gained HLC approval of a Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership program
Managing Up and Across, Readings from Harvard Business Review Press
Yes to the Mess: Surprising Leadership Lessons from Jazz by Frank J. Barrett
Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change by James Allen and Chris Zook
Marketing in the Groundswell by Li and Bernoff
Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business by Bernoff and Shadler
Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World by Tapscott and Williams
Not for Free: Revenue Strategies for a New World by Berman