Minor in Leadership Studies
A minor in Leadership Studies can provide individuals with an advantage in the work force and is a strong compliment to every major that Southwestern offers. Almost any career benefits from your competence in:
- Increased knowledge of self
- Use of persuasion, collaboration, conflict, and creativity
- Ethical use of power
- Knowledge of community building
Read more about Leadership Development in this article by authors at the Center for Creative Leadership.
All of the following:
- SOCS 101 Introduction to Leadership
- SOCS 206 Leadership & Ethical Worldviews
- SOCS 307 Leadership Research
- SOCS 408 Leadership Practices
One of the following:
- SOCS 225 Non-profit leadership and social impact
- POLS 100 Active Citizenship and Integrative Learning
One of the following:
- Internship in major field with a leadership analysis component, minimum 3 credit hours
- Study Abroad with a leadership analysis component, minimum 3 credit hours
- SOCS 330 Service Learning Travel
Leadership Studies Course Descriptions
SOCS 101 Introduction to Leadership. An introduction to leadership theory begins the class. Analysis of historical leaders, contemporary leaders, and self as a leader follows. Students end the class with a learning experience designed to foster collaboration among a team of students and one that gives opportunity for that team to articulate a shared vision. Credit 3 hours.
SOCS 206 Exploring Leadership. Study of proactive thought, personal and group visioning, ethics, and areas of personal leadership self-assessment will be covered. Facilitating group process and giving and receiving constructive criticism will be emphasized during the class time. Prerequisite: SOCS 101. Credit 3 hours
SOCS 307 Leadership Research. Readings, experiential learning activities and reflective writing will help students develop leadership knowledge in four areas: fcollaboration, conflict resolution, creativity, and written persuasion. After an introduction to all four areas, students will choose one area to study in depth. Prerequisite: SOCS 206. Credit 3 hours.
SOCS 408 Leadership Practices. Students will envision, design, implement, and evaluate a project as the project leader, in consultation with peers and faculty. All project leaders will meet weekly for consultation. Prerequisite: SOCS 307. Credit 3 hours.
Dr. Cheryl L. Rude
Professor Leadership Studies
Director Leadership Southwestern
B.S. University of Kansas
M.Ed. Wichita State University
Ph.D. Union Institute & University
Leadership Outside the Classroom
Students interested in expanding their leadership experience may apply for an interview to be part of Southwestern's nationally-recognized Leadership Southwestern team. An application can be found on the Leadership website.