- > Degree Requirements
- > Degree Plans
- > Tell Us More
- > Music Department Events
- > Vocal Ensembles
- > Instrumental Ensembles
- > Tonebuilders
- > Center for Music Composition
- > Summer Music Festival
- > Community Music School
- > Music in Winfield
- > Facilities
- > Homecoming Concert
- > Performing Arts Initiative
- > Box Office Information
- > News
- > Upcoming Events
- > Gallery
- > Directory
The George and Linda Cole Summer Music Festival at Southwestern College is June 4-9 and the public is invited to several free concerts.
• Monday, June 4—Faculty Jazz Concert in the Richardson Performing Arts Center at 8:30 p.m. Performers include Brandon Blackburn, Justin Blackburn, Ryan Royle, Jason Whitmore, and Troy Fischer.
• Thursday, June 7—Faculty Showcase Concert in the Richardson Performing Arts Center at 6 p.m., featuring the Festival Young Artist in Residence Mary Bander, soprano. Other performers include festival voice, composition, string, and piano faculty.
• Thursday, June 7—Worship Concert in the Richardson Performing Arts Center at 8 p.m. The concert will feature worship leaders Stephen Butler, Martin Rude, Allison Ebright, Sarah Miller, Josh Melcher, and Cory Ryan.
• Friday, June 8—City Band Concert at Baden Square beginning at 7:30 p.m. All festival instrumentalists will join the City Band in rehearsal and concert, bringing back a tradition from Southwestern College summer music camps.
• Saturday, June 9—Family Day events including a festival orchestra concert at 3:15 p.m. and festival choir concert at 3:55 p.m. in the Richardson Performing Arts Center, and a jazz band concert at 5 p.m. in the Deets Library.
The Summer Music Festival is a six-day camp held on the campus of Southwestern College. Campers study with faculty members to develop their musical skills. The six tracks to choose from are choir, orchestra, jazz, worship, composition, and piano.
“In addition to fresh emphasis on individual track instruction, we are excited to offer some new activities this summer including private lessons, faculty recitals, and even more small ensemble opportunities,” says camp director Tim Shook.
Full cost of the festival is $475 which includes all festival expenses (housing, meals, instruction, etc.). If campers choose not to stay overnight on campus, the full cost of the festival is $375 which includes meals and instruction. Scholarships are available through the generous support of musician and former Southwestern College trustee Dr. George Cole and his wife, Linda. Any student recommended for the festival by a private music instructor or school music teacher will receive a scholarship. Additional scholarship aid based on need and merit is also available.
For more information, call (620) 229-6272.
For events in Richardson Performing Arts Center, devices to assist those with hearing problems are available in the box office, and an area is reserved for handicapped patrons and their companions in the rear of the hall.