Sexual Misconduct

If you are assaulted:

  • Go where you feel safe:  Go to a friend’s place, RA’s room, family residence or a public place.
  • Consider calling someone:  Call a friend, family member, RA or a coach.
  • Consider receiving medical attention:  Our closest hospital is William Newton Hospital and they have a sexual assault nurse examiner.  The address is 1305 East 5th Avenue and the contact information is   620-222-6231 and
  • Consider filing a police report:  Call Winfield Police Department at 620-221-5555.
  • Consider filing a report with Southwestern College.  While the school and police department are separate, one can still file a report for the incident to go through the student conduct process.  Please call student life at 620-229-6391.
  • Consider seeking support:  Talking with a friend, relative, RA or counselor could help dealing with the emotions and trauma of the assault.

Individuals who believe a Title IX sexual misconduct incident may have occurred on Southwestern’s campus or involving the Southwestern Community, should discuss their concerns and/or file a report with: 

Title IX Coordinator, Lonnie Boyd

Vice President of Student Affairs, Dan Falk

Asst. Dean of Students, Sarah Hallinan

Who can I report to?  Who is confidential?

Southwestern College staff, coaches, faculty and residence assistants are all required to inform the Title IX director of the incident.  The campus minister and wellness coordinator are allowed to keep the incident completely confidential.

Sexual Misconduct Links

Sexual Assault Resources

Student Life strongly recommends reaching out and talking to others about the incident.  Counseling is important and can play a critical role in coping with the incident.

Southwestern College can provide a great deal of emotional support to a victim of sexual assault.  If a victim would like to speak with a professional social worker about the sexual assault incident, Mary Ann Smith is available to talk.

Mary Ann is considered a confidential resource for students to speak with and she will not report the incident unless it is the student’s wishes.

Mary Ann can be contacted at:
(620) 222-4311 or at

Off-Campus resources include:

  • Wichita Sexual Assault Center
  • Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network
  • National Sexual Assault Hotline   1-800-656-4673
  • Cowley County Mental Health  (620) 221-9664
  • Counseling and Mediation Center  (620) 221-8965

The Federal Campus Sexual Assault Bill of Rights

  • Survivors shall be notified of their options to notify law enforcement.
  • Accuser and accused must have the same opportunity to have others present.
  • Both parties shall be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
  • Survivors shall be notified of counseling services.
  • Survivors shall be notified of options for changing academic and living situations.

The Campus Sexual Assault Victims’ Bill of Rights was signed into law by President George Bush in July 1992.  This law requires that all colleges and universities (both public and private) participating in federal aid programs afford sexual assault victims certain basic rights. 

Build a life

Build a life

Students are what make Student Life happen!

From carnivals to concerts, from Sutton Center to Campus Life, the Office of Student Affairs is available for you, the student.

learn more about student life