Transfer to SC

Complete your education at SC

The next steps in your college career.

You may know Southwestern College as a great place to get a four-year degree, with outstanding academic programs and exciting activities. But maybe you’re starting with a two-year degree somewhere else.

If you’ve decided to start your college at a community college, or are attending one now, Southwestern hopes you’ll remember a few things:

  • We welcome transfer students and have scholarships that are available only to transfers.
  • Your associate’s degree will mean you’ve completed Southwestern’s general education requirements.
  • You can wrap up your degree here in two additional years—that’s faster than you’re likely to get done at a public university.
  • We have housing and programs specifically for transfer students.

1. Visit Campus

Schedule a visit: Personalized Campus Visit, Large Group Campus Visit, or Explore More Day.
Phone: (800) 846-1543, ext. 6236

2. Apply for Admission

Complete and submit the online application as soon as possible:

Online Application

3. Send Official Transcripts

Submit an official transcript from each college or university you have attended.  If you have less than 12 college credit hours, you will need to provide an official high school transcript containing your class rank, grade point average, and graduation date.

Call or visit your previous college’s registrar’s office and ask them to send a copy of your transcript to:

Southwestern College, Office of Admission
100 College Street
Winfield, KS 67156-2499

4. Apply for Scholarships

The Transfer Scholarship is a full-tuition scholarship renewable for up to three years.

Transfer Scholarship

More scholarships and grants are available for qualified students.

Scholarships & Grants

5. File for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

You have to complete the FAFSA online as soon after Oct. 1, 2016, as possible. It’s free! Southwestern College’s code is 001940. Financial aid awards will be mailed beginning in mid-March to students who have submitted their FAFSA to Southwestern College.

Checklist to becoming a Builder

Admission Requirements

Students who have completed high school and who have accumulated more than six college credits since then are classified as transfer students.

A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher is required for transfer students.  This grade point average will be calculated on core courses or courses that are equivalent to Southwestern College courses (exclusive of activity credits).  SC does not accept transfer credit for varsity athletics or remedial-level coursework.

If the student is transferring with fewer than 24 hours of credit, a transcript from an accredited high school showing graduation or a GED with a score above the 50th percentile will be required.

Transfer hours with a grade below “C” will not be counted toward major or general education requirements.  However, for purposes of grade point average calculation, transfer grades that are given a “+” or “-“will be calculated as simply the letter grade.


Still have questions about the process?  Just contact us and we'll help walk you through it.

Phone: (800) 846-1543, ext. 6236

Build an education.

Build an education.

Academic excellence sets SC apart.

36 main campus and 16 professional studies undergraduate majors, 27 minors, teacher certification in 5 areas, and 6 graduate programs.