Privacy & FERPA

Notification of Student Rights under FERPA

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords you, the student, certain rights with respect to your education record.

What are my rights under FERPA?

As a college student you have the following rights:

  1. The right to inspect and review your education records (does not include parents' financial information) within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.  Students should submit to the Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect.  The Registrar will arrange for access to notify the student of the time and place where records may be inspected.  If the Registrar does not maintain the records, the Registrar will advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request amendment of education records that you believe are inaccurate or otherwise in violation of your privacy rights under FERPA.  Students should ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading.  They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want to be changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.  If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.  Additional information regarding hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.  One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests.  A school official is defined as a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.  A school official has legitimate educational interests if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. The right to file with the US Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.  The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:  Family Policy Compliance Office, US Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC  20202-5901

What is "Directory Information"?

Directory information can be given out to third parties without the student’s written consent.  Southwestern College defines directory information as:

Name, local and other addresses, local and other telephone numbers, e-mail address, enrollment status, dates of attendance, previous educational institution(s) attended, degrees conferred and dates of conferral, awards and honors received, major and minor fields of study, date of birth, class type (Main Campus, Professional Studies, online), academic class level, participation in College-sponsored organizations and sports, height and weight of members of athletic teams, photograph, and video.

Can I control the release of Directory Information?

You can restrict the release of Directory Information by completing the Non Disclosure Form available in the Office of the Registrar.   

You should consider carefully the consequences of any decision made by you to withhold “Directory Information”.  If such a request is made, the College will not release your name in any press releases, including Dean’s Honor Roll notification to hometown newspapers.  Student activities, campus organizations, and friends will not be able to obtain directory information on you.  In addition, without your specific written approval, College officials will not be able to confirm your enrollment or graduation, nor include your name in the Commencement Program.    

Once filed, this request becomes a permanent part of your record until you instruct Southwestern College, in writing, to have the request removed.

Do my parents or other family members have access to my education records?

A parent or guardian does not have access to your education records without your written consent unless your parent or guardian presents a certified copy of the most recent federal income tax form that reports you as a dependent.

A spouse or other person would also have to have your written consent to access your education records.  The Student Consent Form is also available in the Office of the Registrar.

For more information...

Questions about FERPA may be directed to:
Southwestern College, Office of the Registrar
100 College St.
Winfield, KS  67156-2499
Telephone: (620) 229-6175

The Registrar's Office is located on the first floor of Christy Administration Building.

Links of Interest

Build a life

Build a life

Students are what make Student Life happen!

From carnivals to concerts, from Sutton Center to Campus Life, the Office of Student Affairs is available for you, the student.

learn more about student life