BA Major in Accounting

B.A., Major in Accounting

Major requirements*

  • ACCT281 Financial Accounting (3 hours)
  • ACCT283 Managerial Accounting (3 hours)
  • ACCT385 Federal Income Taxation of Business (3 hours)
  • ACCT386 Cost Accounting (3 hours)
  • ACCT391 Intermediate Accounting 1 (3 hours)
  • ACCT392 Intermediate Accounting 2 (3 hours)
  • ACCT445 Auditing (3 hours)
  • BUS 115 Business Basics (3 hours)
  • BUS 130 Introduction to Entrepreneurship (3 hours)
  • BUS 318 Quantitative Methods for Business (3 hours)
  • BUS 322 Management (3 hours)
  • BUS 325 Marketing (3 hours)
  • BUS 350 Business Law (3 hours)
  • BUS 375 Human Resources Management (3 hours)
  • BUS 395 Corporate Finance (3 hours)
  • BUS 497 Business Strategy and Policy (Capstone) (3 hours)
  • ECON101 Principles of Microeconomics (3 hours)
  • ECON102 Principles of Macroeconomics (3 hours)

Nine additional hours of 300-level or above of courses within the division. BUS 401 is recommended as preparation for the Kansas Certified Public Accountant Licensing Examination.

Cognate requirements

  • MATH110 College Algebra (3 hours)
  • MATH215 Introduction to Statistics and Probability (3 hours)

*2018-2019 Academic Catalog

Why Accounting?

Accounting is a growing demand field in today’s career market. In 2011, the Kentucky Society of CPAs provided a survey to their members and found that 18% of CPAs will retire in the next 10 years and 25% in the next 15 years for a combined total of 43% of CPAs who are a member of the Kentucky Society of CPAs to retire in the next 15 years. The result of Kentucky Society of CPAs survey is not isolated to the state of Kentucky; this is happening all over the United States and the demand for accounting students is growing.

Accounting students at ArrowheadJob Opportunities

Public Accounting

  • Audit
  • Tax
  • Business Consulting

Business and Industry

  • Financial Accountant
  • Managerial Accountant
  • Cost Accountant
  • Financial Analysts

Non-Profit Organizations

  • Education
  • Non-Profit Accountant

Governmental Accounting

  • Auditor
  • Forensic Accountant
  • Accounting Investigator

Why Accounting at Southwestern College? 

75% of 2014 – 2015 Accounting Graduates already have secured positions with accounting firms after their graduation in May 2015.

Firm placement includes:

  • Small Sole-Proprietorship Firm
  • Regional Accounting Firm
  • Global Public Accounting Firm (5th Largest)

Average Starting Salary: High $40,000 to Low $50,000 (of known salary amounts only)

Accounting students at Southwestern College are vitally integrated with the Kansas Society of Certified Public Accountants’ (KSCPA) Workshop/Events

  • Business and Industry Conference in Kansas City, Missouri
  • KSCPA Annual Meeting in Wichita, Kansas

The Accounting Program has grown over 200% from 2013 – 2014 school year to 2014 – 2015 school year

Accounting students at KSCPAActivity Grant

Accounting students are encourage to get involved at Southwestern College. Accounting students often become involved in the Division of Business’s Enactus Team. Enactus is part of Southwestern College’s Service Learning Program and provides the opportunity for students to engage in service learning while using entrepreneurial knowledge to advance their service learning projects.

In addition, the Enactus Team competes nationally at the Regional and National Exposition events sponsored by Enactus USA. Accounting students who are interested in the Enactus Team are eligible for a $5,000 activity grant to support your accounting degree and involvement in the Enactus Team. For more information visit the Enactus Team website or apply for the Enactus Activity Grant.


Academic Plan Checklist (.pdf)

Build an education.

Build an education.

Academic excellence sets SC apart.

41 main campus and 16 professional studies undergraduate majors, 27 minors, teacher certification in 13 areas, and 6 graduate programs.