Homecoming Celebration 2013
October 11, 12, 13, 2013
Reunion years ending in "3" and "8"
and All-Class Tennis Reunion
Register now for Homecoming 2013!
Deadline for reservations: September 30, 2013.
Payment required at time of reservation.
Payment is not refundable after September 30, 2013.
Thursday, Oct. 10
President’s Gallery in Darbeth Fine Arts Center will feature artwork by Marilyn (Powers) McNeish ’54 and Tom Toperzer ’63. The display may be viewed from Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon. Also, watercolors by Ron Andrea ’68 will be exhibited in Pounds Lounge in the Roy L. Smith Student Center throughout the weekend.
7:30 p.m. *THEATRE PRODUCTION, (not yet announced), Messenger Auditorium. Theatre tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for youth through college. For tickets call (620) 221-7720.
Friday, Oct. 11
9 a.m.-4 p.m. Moundbuilder Market, the Southwestern campus store will be open.
10 a.m. *JINX INVITATIONAL GOLF TOURNEY, Winfield Country Club. Shotgun start. Sign up by contacting SC coach, Brad Sexson at (620) 229-6161, or firstname.lastname@example.org. $100 per person or $400 per team. Fee includes green fees, cart, 3 drink tickets, range balls, and prizes. (Golf registration begins at 9 a.m.)
11 a.m.-1 p.m. SC CAREER FAIR, Java Jinx snack bar.
2 p.m. – 5 p.m. REGISTRATION for class reunions in Pounds Lounge area.
- 2-3 p.m. 1963 & 1968 Class Registration
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. 1973 & 1978 Class Registration
- 3-4 p.m. 1983 & 1988 Class Registration
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. 1993 & 1998 Class Registration
- 4-5 p.m. 2003 & 2008 Class Registration
3:00 and 4:00 p.m. CAMPUS TOURS, Pounds Lounge. Student Ambassadors will give campus walking tours. (Allow 30 min. per tour.)
4:30-5:30 p.m. BUILDER TENNIS REUNION RECEPTION, Deets Library, hosted by SC Tennis Coach, Jason Speegle ’99. A look back at the history of SC tennis and the athletes who made it great. Refreshments will be served.
5 p.m. Homecoming Registration moves up to Java Jinx.
6-7:30 p.m. *ALL-CLASS HOMECOMING DINNER, Roy L. Smith dining hall. Limited seating, $25 per person. Master of Ceremonies, Ted Hresko ’73. Ambassador Award recipient, Ron Holt, Young Alumni Award recipient, Travis Hastings ’03, Alumni Award recipients, Ted ’64 and Florence (Cutter) Metcalf ’63. Recognition of 60 yr class, 50 yr class, 51+ alumni, reunion year Class Hosts, SC Trustees. Special music by some ’73 USO members.
8 p.m. *THEATRE PRODUCTION, (not yet announced), Messenger Auditorium. Theatre tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for youth through college. For tickets call (620) 221-7720.
9:30 p.m. BONFIRE, north end of Soccer Field.
Saturday, October 12
8-10 a.m. ALUMNI REGISTRATION, Pounds Lounge.
8:30-9:30 a.m. COME & GO CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST at the SC Learning Center.
9 a.m. CLASS of 1963 TROLLEY LOADING for parade, 1st Methodist Church parking lot, 11th & Millington.
9 a.m. 1968 BREAKFAST GATHERING, Daylight Donuts, 910 Main, Dutch treat.
9 a.m.–2 p.m. Moundbuilder Market, the Southwestern campus store will be open.
9:30 a.m. HOMECOMING PARADE, Main Street.
10:30 - 11:30 a.m. SWEET POTATO TOSS on Library lawn – 1973 Class Hosts are sponsoring this fun activity. Come and join in!
10:30 a.m.- 12 noon BUILDER TENNIS REUNION at the fabulous new T.H. “Curley” Vaughan Tennis Complex, Mound St. & Booth St. Play-around is optional – bring your own racket.
10:30 a.m.- 12 noon ROCK PAINTING at the Mound with George Lowe ’74 and Teresa Bevis-Yeoman ’80 – Rocks & paint are provided so you can add a rock to the Mound to celebrate your reunion!
10:30 a.m. COMMUNICATIONS/ COMPUTER SCIENCE/ ENGLISH REUNION BRUNCH, come & go in Christy Hall lower level. Alumni from these departments and graduates from other majors who participated with SCUpdate, Moundbuilder yearbook, Collegian newspaper, Jinx Radio, SCTV, debate, The English Journal, and Sigma Tau Delta, are invited to join in the fun of tours, refreshments and conversation. RSVPs to Jane.Handlin@sckans.edu or call #620-229-6293.
10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ALUMNI REGISTRATION, Stewart Field House foyer.
11 a.m.-1 p.m. *HOMECOMING PICNIC, Stewart Field House. $5.50 person, children under 6, $2.75.
11:15 a.m. OUTREACH WORSHIP SERVICE, on south patio of Roy L. Smith Student Center.
11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. PRESIDENT’S LUNCHEON for 51+ years alumni at Winfield Country Club, 2916 Country Club Rd. Hosts: Betty (McGowan) Bradley ’51, Don Drennan ’52, Melba (Travis) Cook '59, Marilyn (Lungren) Houlden ’61.
12 noon - 12:30 p.m. *PROFESSIONAL CLASS PHOTOS, King Plaza. $5 per photo; other groups or family photos may be arranged with professional photographer, Bill H. Stephens ’69. Photo times as follows: (class photos will be done separately by class)
- 12 noon – Classes of 1963, 1968, 1973
- 12:15 p.m. – Classes of 1978, 1983, 1988
- 12:30 p.m. – Classes of 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008
1:15 p.m. CLASS REUNION GATHERINGS, Jantz Stadium. Find your decade banner and sit with your classmates and friends at the football game… Go Builders!
1:30 p.m. *HOMECOMING FOOTBALL GAME, SC vs. Bethany College. $10 reserved seats (if available), $8 per adult, $5 for senior citizens (age 65-up) & $2 for college students w/ ID.
2:30-5 p.m. FINE ARTS COME & GO REUNION, Darbeth Lobby.
4-5 p.m. BUILDER NATION PARTY & DRAWING for $100 GIFT CARD for 0-4 year alumni (classes of 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013), at Sutton Lobby. Class Hosts are Julie Wilke ’09, Greg Jeffers ’10, Kaydee Johnson ’11, Jordy Train ’12, Derreck Carter-House ’13.
5-8 p.m. *CHILD CARE SERVICES, Grace UMC. Cost $2 per hour per child, which includes evening meal. Reservations required, walk-ins accepted if space allows.
5 p.m. CLASS of 1963 REUNION PHOTO, Winfield Country Club, 2916 Country Club Rd.
5:30 p.m. *CLASS of 1963 REUNION DINNER, Winfield Country Club. 50-year gala celebration, $25 per person. Class Hosts: Judy (Fairchild) Brown, Ron Lohrding, Florence (Cutter) Metcalf, Cindy (Marvel) Swanson, and Rick Urban.
5:30-7 p.m. *CLASS REUNION GATHERINGS, Dutch treat unless otherwise specified, pay at location. Bring your old college photos and memorabilia for reminiscing! (For full details on class reunion activities, check the Homecoming website for specific class)
- 1968 Reunion Dinner, at Montana Mike’s Steakhouse, 3727 Quail Ridge Dr. Class Hosts: Hal Bruen, Don Hapward, Nancy (Haines) Parker, Gerry (Rieckenberg) Winters, and Tom Winters.
- 1973 Reunion Dinner, at Montana Mike’s Steakhouse, 3727 Quail Ridge Dr. Class Hosts: Lyn (Gagnebin) Bement, Rodney Johannsen, Terry McGonigle, and Keith Morrison.
- 1978 Reunion Dinner, at the Iron Gate Inn, 1203 E. 9th Ave, one of Winfield's historic old homes. Cost of the dinner is $20 per person. Reservations are required. Class Hosts: Kim Bever, Waynette (Schoch) Brunkhorst, Doug Gilbert, and Dana (Boylan) Kreie.
- 1983 Reunion Dinner, at Nieves’ Mexican Restaurant, 119 E 9th. Class Hosts: Joe Cobb and Ron Richardson.
- 1988 Reunion Dinner, at Bluestem Bed & Breakfast, 13292 172nd Rd. Catered meal, $30 per person; pre-registration and entree selection for this meal must be turned in to email@example.com by Sept. 20. Class Hosts: Ryan Carr, Elliott Rodda, and Lisa Spoon.
- 1993 Reunion Dinner, at Biederman’s Bistro, 801 Main St. Class Hosts: Stephanie (Wall) Brown, Don Gifford, Gloria (Morey) Gifford, and Doug Wolff.
- 1998 Reunion Dinner, at Kathryn’s Bakery Café, 822 Main. Class Hosts: Kevin Colvin, Jennifer Crispin, Anne (Keith) Holt, Chris Holt, and Janet (Walton) Miller.
- 2003 Reunion Dinner, at Pizza Hut, 1912 Main St. Class Hosts: Annika (Billings) Graham and Julie Morgan.
- 2008 Reunion Dinner, at El Maguey Mexican Restaurant, 1515 E 9th. Class Hosts: Brandon Hessing, Daniel Joiner, Krystal (Cole) Winn, and Autumn Worten.
6 p.m. WOMEN'S SOCCER, alumni vs. current students, Jantz Stadium.
7 p.m. MEN'S SOCCER, alumni vs. current students, Jantz Stadium.
8 p.m. KALEIDOSCOPE performing arts production, Richardson Performing Arts Center. Free will donations may be given to support the arts at SC.
Sunday, October 13
9:30 a.m. *ALUMNI BREAKFAST BUFFET, Roy L. Smith dining hall. $5 person.
10:50 a.m. HOMECOMING WORSHIP SERVICE, Grace UMC. Dr. Kelly Bender ’68 will be the guest speaker, along with Grace pastor, Rev. John Martin ’70. The service will include a memorial to deceased SC alumni from Sept. 1, 2012 to Aug. 31, 2013.
11:15 a.m.–1:30 p.m. *SUNDAY BRUNCH BUFFET, Roy L. Smith dining hall. Cost $6 person. RSVPs appreciated.
11 a.m.-2 p.m. Moundbuilder Market, the Southwestern campus store will be open.
2 p.m. *THEATRE PRODUCTION, (not yet announced), Messenger Auditorium. Theatre tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for youth through college. For tickets call (620) 221-7720.
*Cost involved. Payment required at time of reservation. Payment is not refundable after Sept. 30.
Homecoming 2012 Highlights
The Rev. Bruce Birch '62 returned to Southwestern College for his 50th class reunion during October and was guest speaker for the Homecoming service at Grace United Methodist Church. He has graciously offered to share that message with Southwestern's alumni and friends. We are printing it here as he typed it so that you may appreciate Birch's own intended cadence.