Paying Your Account


Making a Payment
Southwestern's payment policies are located in the course catalogs

  • Main Campus Undergraduate: Charges and Fees, page 114
  • Main Campus Graduate: Charges and Fees, page 17
  • Professional Studies Undergraduate: Charges and Fees, page 22
  • Professional Studies Graduate: Charges and Fees, page 20

To make a payment or set up a payment plan, log into Self Service and choose "Make a Payment" in the Finances tab.  For questions, contact:

Student Accounts
Accounts - 800-846-1543 ext. 318 (620-229-6318)

Low-interest loans exist for families and students who would like to use financing as a way of paying their balance.  For parents, Southwestern offers the Federal Direct PLUS loan.  For students, there are a variety of alternative loans available through private lenders.  Before you decide this is the option for you, it is a good idea to use an online loan calculator to determine the additional costs involved.

Application of Financial Aid to Your Account
All federal financial aid is applied directly to the student's account.  Financial aid is used to reduce any tuition, room and board charges existing on the most current statement.  Financial aid is also applied to any additional charges that have been authorized by the student (for example: charges for books). 

Students who wish to receive a refund of their financial aid prior to it being applied toward authorized charges may do so in writing to the Office of Financial Aid .  Please be reminded that should such a request occur, students will be held financially responsible for any remaining balance on their account.

Federal Aid Credit Balances
Student's who have financial aid that is higher than the amount of their account balance will receive a refund of any federal aid remaining on their account once the charges have been fully paid.  Refund checks are mailed within 14 days of their appearance on the statement.

Federal aid is released to accounts ten days after the first day of classes for the fall, spring and summer semesters and on a weekly basis after that.

Changes to Enrollment
Students who enroll in classes but then officially drop one or more courses during the enrollment period may experience changes to both their charges and financial aid.

Cancellation of Charges
Charge cancellation policies are found in the course catalogs.

  • Main Campus Undergraduate:  Charges and Fees, page 117
  • Main Campus Graduate: Charges and Fees, page 19
  • Professional Studies Undergraduate: Learner Services, page 24
  • Professional Studies Graduate:  Charges and Fees, page 22

Cancellation of Financial Aid
Changes to enrollment status affect two areas of a student's financial aid package: 1) Federal Pell Grant and 2) Cost of Attendance.  Specific questions concerning how changes to enrollment status will affect individual financial aid packages may be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

1) Federal Pell Grant
For Main Campus programs, enrollment adjustments made prior to the last day to drop or add courses will create a corresponding adjustment to the student's Pell grant award. 

For Professional Studies programs, the Federal Pell grant is adjusted throughout the semester to reflect the student's current official enrollment status (WD and dropped courses do not count towards official enrollment status).  In some cases, dropping a class in these programs may be considered a full withdraw from the college.

Cost of Attendance
Increases and reductions to the cost of attendance may affect the amount of need-based aid the student is eligible to receive as well as the total amount of financial aid that may be awarded to a student.

For Main Campus undergraduate programs, enrollment changes made prior to the last day to drop or add classes will affect a student's cost of attendance. 

For all other programs, adjustments to cost of attendance are made throughout the semester to reflect the student's current official enrollment status (WD and dropped courses do not count).  In some cases, dropping a class in these programs may be considered a full withdraw from the college. 

Withdrawal from Southwestern College
Students who choose to stop attending classes before the end of a semester are considered to be withdrawn from Southwestern College.  Procedures for how to withdraw from the college can be found in the course catalogs.

  • Main Campus Undergraduate: Academic Policies, page 91
  • Main Campus Graduate: Academic Policies, page 14
  • Professional Studies Undergraduate: Academics, page 19
  • Professional Studies Graduate: Learner Services, page 19

Cancellation of Charges
Cancellation of charges for withdrawing students are the same as those for students making enrollment changes

Cancellation of Financial Aid
When students withdraw from college, a calculation is made of "earned" and "unearned" federal aid.  This calculation is required by federal regulation.  Earned aid is kept on the student's account and unearned aid is returned to the Department of Education.  Unearned aid is returned first to loans and in this order: unsubsidized loans, subsidized loans, Perkins loans, PLUS loans.  Any remaining unearned aid is then returned to Pell grant, SEOG, and other Title IV programs.

Southwestern aid is returned according to the cancellation of charges policies.

For state and other aid, all funds are usable until the student's account balance reaches zero. Any excess is returned to the place where it originated.

Build an education.

Build an education.

Academic excellence sets SC apart.

41 main campus and 16 professional studies undergraduate majors, 27 minors, teacher certification in 13 areas, and 6 graduate programs.