David Gardner, director of choirs at Southwestern College, has announced that the college’s A Cappella Choir and SC Singers Spring Tour will perform in five different towns this month.
Tour stops and performance times include:
• Thursday, March 8, First United Methodist Church in Greensburg, 7 p.m.
• Friday, March 9, First United Methodist Church in Syracuse, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, March 10, Woodlawn United Methodist Church in Derby, 7 p.m.
• Sunday, March 11, Central Christian Church in Wichita, 8:45 and 10 a.m.
• Monday, March 12, Richardson Performing Arts Center in the Christy Administration building on the campus of Southwestern College, 7:30 p.m.
All of the concerts are free admission. A freewill offering will be taken to help offset tour expenses.
Initially formed in 1927, Southwestern College’s A Cappella Choir has built a long-standing reputation of excellence throughout Kansas and the Midwest. The SC Singers is a select ensemble whose members are auditioned from within the A Cappella Choir.
Membership of the choir is representative of the diversity of the college student population. This year’s choir members come from six different states and three foreign countries – Northern Ireland, Malaysia, and Singapore.
“Choir tour is a great way to build relationships. We always look forward to reconnecting with alumni and old friends as well as making the acquaintance of new people and prospective students when we tour,” Gardner says.
According to Gardner, this year’s repertoire includes everything from baroque to jazz, as well exciting music between those genres.
For more information about the tour or Southwestern College choirs, contact Gardner at (620) 229-6302. For the performance in Richardson Performing Arts Center, devices to assist those with hearing problems are available in the box office, and an area is reserved for handicapped patrons and their companions in the rear of the hall.
— 30 —