WELCOME TO TONEBUILDERS!
Tonebuilders is a musical group of the combined collegiate chapters of the CMENC (National Association of Music Education) and the MTNA (Music Teaching National Association). Members are encouraged to join at least one professional organization. This is a great resource for networking that can be drawn upon for a lifetime.
MEET THE OFFICERS for 2015-2016
President: Kaitlyn Holler
Vice President: Deborah Martin
Secretary: Ashton Humbert
Treasurer: Luke Nicolay
Faculty Advisors: Dr. Tim Shook and Mr. Jeremy Kirk
Tonebuilders is also a fun organization that allows ensemble participants to get to know one another. Tone buiders hosts many events such as trips to symphony concerts in Wichita and Tulsa, community events such as a haunted house in October, and many informal get-togethers.
To join Tonebuilders, a number of participation points are required. Participation is anything music-related that is on a volunteer basis. Examples include directing cars in the parking lot during a concert, ushering a concert, etc.
Constitution of Southwestern College Tone Builders
Article I: Mission Statement
The ToneBuilders mission is to construct and enhance the musical experience of the students at Southwestern College. We embody this through community outreach, on campus projects, and divisional collaboration
Article II: Acknowledgement of Members
- Membership and participation are free from discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, disability, or status as a disabled person or veteran.
- Section 1. The faculty advisor is a faculty member of the Music Department with all rights and privileges therein:
- Oversee meetings/events
- Attend all SGA meetings that the president attends
- The faculty advisor is NOT allowed to vote, nominate, or hold an office in ToneBuilders
- Students of Southwestern College are eligible for consideration for membership in this organization. Students must fulfill the following requirements in order to be considered for membership:
- Section 2. Traditional Students
- Ensemble Participation: Student must be involved in a year’s worth of at least one ensemble, or private lessons within the Music Department and/or The Community Music School at Southwestern College
- Service Component: Students must fulfill 10 service components during the year that benefits the Performing Arts, or some other pre-approved service component.
- Attitude/Commitment Rating (Pillars)
- Commitment—To ToneBuilders, as well as, the Southwestern College Music Department
- Fellowship—With peers in ToneBuilders and the students/faculty at Southwestern College
- Growth—As a musician working in either an ensemble and/or independently
- Creativity—Within the organization and when dealing with everyday situations
- Music majors must be involved with a professional organization, Professional Organizations include: (NAfME, MTNA, ACDA, etc.)
- Music Minors should be involved with a professional organization OR take a music credit, OR add 2 more service components.
- Participants should be involved with a professional organization OR add 2 service components, OR add another ensemble.
- Continued involvement: Participation in ToneBuilders events over the course of the school year; Concert Attendance is encouraged.
- Section 3. Non-traditional and Transfer Students
- Ensemble Participation: Transfer students who have met the requirements for ensembles at another school, or Non-traditional students who meet the ensemble requirements from a community or professional ensemble are eligible for membership.
- Service Component: Transfer and non-traditional students must meet the same above requirements for service to be inducted.
- Attitude/Commitment – Same as Traditional Students
- Professional Organizations: Requirements are the same as for traditional students.
- Continued involvement—Same as Traditional Students
Article III. Sustenance of Membership
- Section 1. All students must complete the following to sustain membership:
- Service Component: Students must fulfill 3 service components per semester.
- Members must stay involved in at least one ensemble per semester.
- Members must attend a conference hosted by a National Organization each year
- If members are not involved with an organization, they must fulfill two extra service points per semester.
- If a student does not fulfill the requirements, the executive committee will discuss the membership of the individual. A subsequent meeting with the individual will follow.
Article IV. Terms of Removal
- Section 1. Probationary membership *
- A student will be placed on probationary status for one semester if the following standards are not met:
- A member has three or more unscheduled absences from the meetings
- A member has not accomplished tasks within the established time (without excuse)
- A member has missed more than 2 scheduled ToneBuilders activities that all ToneBuilders are required to attend.
- A member of ToneBuilders has a GPA below a 2.0
- The Student’s status will then be evaluated by the Executive Team of ToneBuilders and the decision to ultimately remove a member after the probationary period
Article V. Election of Officers
- Section 1. Requirements for eligibility of office
- Potential officer must be a member of Tone Builders.
- Must be currently in two ensembles active at Southwestern College
- Student must be in or past their fourth semester at Southwestern, or second semester if student is a transfer
- Must complete all of the following:
- Attend at least one professional conference per year
- No unexcused absences for Fridays at 11:00am
- Participation in the equivalent of four ensembles since the time a student has been enrolled. (One per semester for four semesters or four ensembles in one semester)
- Officer must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher, and should never have been on academic probation
Article VI. Officer duties
- Section 1. Duties of the President
- Lead all meetings of both ToneBuilders, and the Executive Committee (unless ill, or preplanned absence)
- Demonstrates leadership skills
- Run all events that are hosted by the Music Department that require student assistance
- Be the liaison between ToneBuilders and other organizations on campus
- Define group performance standards and hold people accountable
- Section 2. Duties of the Vice President
- Take leadership position if President is not available
- Managing all ToneBuilders hosted events
- Overseeing the overall well-being of ToneBuilders (Watching member moral, being a shoulder to lean on, ect.)
- Section 3. Duties of the Secretary
- Keep track of minutes
- Email minutes of meetings to other officers and advisor.
- Monitor all service points
- Section 4. Duties of Treasurer
- Keep a log of all financial matters
- Monitor all the Fundraising done by ToneBuilders
- Fill the fridge with pop and keep track of sales
- Oversee that the budget and all Allocations are turned in on time to SGA
- Section 5. Duties for all officers
- Create a vision
- Develop strategies that make things happen
- Influence people to follow the example being set by officers
- Empower others to deliver results
- Align performance goals with strategy
Article VII. Committees
- Section 1. The executive committee is composed of the elected officers of the chapter. This committee has the power to hold meetings without all ToneBuilders members present and discuss issues that involve the well-being of ToneBuilders as an organization. The Executive Committee also has the power to appoint other committees and committee chairs as needed, as well as remove committees that have become unnecessary.
- Section 2. The nominating committee is composed of all the full members of ToneBuilders.
Article VIII. Amendments
- There are no amendments at this time.