Educate the State

Educate the State

Educate the State - Butler or Cowley to Southwestern GraphicCowley College, Butler Community College, and Southwestern College are working together to make a secondary education degree more accessible and affordable.

Students earning an Associate of Arts from Cowley or Butler may transfer seamlessly to Southwestern College and enroll immediately in a secondary education program.

This public/private partnership allows students to obtain a secondary teaching license from the State of Kansas. 

What is Educate the State?

Educate the State LogoKansas has a significant need for secondary teachers. Therefore, the state is working with both public and private colleges to increase enrollment in state-accredited education programs by offering tuition assistance to eligible students. You may apply for a scholarship through the Kansas Teacher Service Scholarship (Kansas Board of Regents, KBOR). This scholarship provides tuition assistance up to $5,536 per year for full-time students. Additionally, transfer students with an Associate’s degree maintain all credits and a pathway to graduation.

What are the Eligibility Requirements? 

  • Graduate from a participating Kansas Community College (Butler Community College or Cowley College) with a GPA of 2.75.
  • Transfer from Butler or Cowley College to Southwestern College.
  • Enroll in a secondary education program (at least 12 credit hours per semester).


Southwestern Tuition: Approximately $7,200 per academic year (12 credit hours per semester for fall and spring).  KBOR Scholarship recipients will receive up to $5536 per year.

Additional Funding Sources: 

Students may be eligible for: 

Southwestern College Secondary Programs

The following undergraduate secondary degree programs are available at Southwestern College:


For Additional information about Educate the State or to enroll at Southwestern College, contact the SC Admissions Office at or 620-229-6236.

Build a life

Build a life

Students are what make Student Life happen!

From carnivals to concerts, from Sutton Center to Campus Life, the Office of Student Affairs is available for you, the student.

learn more about student life