The Federal Department of Education (ED) is the largest resource for need-based scholarship and grant programs.  A comprehensive list of these programs, including eligibility requirements, is located on

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ) is your required application to receive any of the following Federal grants.  The FAFSA is subject to deadlines and must be renewed annually.

Federal Pell Grant - designed to be awarded to the neediest of students applying for college across the United States.  The amount awarded is directly tied to enrollment status.  Residential campus amounts are set with 20th day enrollment status.  Professional studies amounts fluctuate throughout the semester as classes are added and/or dropped.  More.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) - a companion to the Federal Pell Grant and awarded to students with exceptional financial need.  More.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant - one of the few federal grants that is not dependent on financial need.  To determine if you are eligible for the grant, take Southwestern's TEACH Entrance Counseling.  To receive the grant at Southwestern College, you must be admitted to the teacher education program and maintain the federally required minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale.  Exceptions to teacher education program admission are considered on a case-by-case basis.  In addition to the FAFSA, the TEACH grant requires entrance counseling and an annual TEACH Agreement to Serve. More.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) - for students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Irag or Afghanistan after September 11, 2011.  More.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship - for students whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer.  To qualify, student must be Pell Grant eligible, less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of the loss.  For the purposes of the scholarship, a public safety officer is a person serving in law enforcement, a person serving as a firefighter or EMS/paramedic, or a person serving a public agency as a chaplain.  It can also be a person serving in any of those capacities during a major disaster or national emergency.  To notify Southwestern College of your eligibility for this scholarship, click hereMore.

Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) - for students who are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut as defined by the Bureau.  The amount of the grant is based on financial need and availability of funds from the area agency.  Students must submit a BIA application for financial aid and supportive documents.  Close contact should be maintained with the BIA agency to insure the student has completed all required documents.  A student who is a member of a tribe should also contact the tribal office for any scholarships available.  More.

Other Federal Military Benefits - for students who are Veterans of the Armed Forces, students currently serving on Active Duty, their spouses and their children.  More.




Build an education.

Build an education.

Academic excellence sets SC apart.

41 main campus and 16 professional studies undergraduate majors, 27 minors, teacher certification in 13 areas, and 6 graduate programs.